Top 10 things to do in Amsterdam
Inspired by my trip to Amsterdam I put together a list 10 things you have to do in Amsterdam.
- Visit the Rijksmuseum
- Walk through Dam Square
- Wonder around Vondelpark
- Stop by the red light district
- Take a river cruise
- Visit the Anne Frank Museum
- Go shopping at the Albert Cuyp Market
- Explore the A’DAM Lookout & Eye Film Museum
- Enjoy some pancakes at the Pancake Factory
- 10. Treat yourself to some fries at Manneken Pis
1. Visit the Rijksmuseum
The Rijksmuseum is pretty much the go-to the museum in Amsterdam. The Rijksmuseum is dedicated to the history of the city and located just off of the Albert Cuyp market and before you reach Vondelpark.
Definitely check out the library its absolutely stunning.
2. Walk through Dam Square
In central Amsterdam you’ll find the grand Dam Square where you’ll find food stalls, restaurant and shops to explore. A perfect place to absorb the Dutch history with the view of the Royal Palace and the Dam square Monument.
3. Wonder around in Vondelpark
Vondelpark is the biggest and most well-known park in Amsterdam. The parks have been around for over 150 years and are home to an entire array of Dutch wildlife.
4. Walk through the red light district
The red light district is an icon area in Amsterdam that comes to life at night. Its located in the oldest area of the city and has a beauty rustic feel to the architecture.
Note – you’re not allowed to take photos down the specific streets!
5. Take a river cruise
Taking a cruise down the Amsterdam canals are one of the most memorable ways to discover the city. They generally take around an hour there are a number of different options and combined packages you can go for.
Fun Fact – They’re protected through a UNESCO.
6. Visit the Anne Frank Museum
The historic house where Anne Frank went into hiding during the war and wrote the diary. Located in central Amsterdam, the Anne Frank Museum is a must if you love your history.
7. Go shopping at the Albert Cuyp Market
The biggest and the most popular outdoor market in Amsterdam. From traditional Stroop waffles to fresh tulips you can find anything at this Market. It is open 6 days a week and is a perfect stop whilst you’re visiting other sites in the city.
8. Explore the A’DAM Lookout & Eye Film Museum
Across the river up north, you can take the free and very regular ferry to Overhoeks. which is a trendy modern area. There, you won’t be able to miss the 20-story skyscraper and the iconic eye film museum that you can visit and experience a different view of the city.
9. Enjoy some pancakes at the Pancake Factory
The Pancake factory is the perfect place if you’re looking for a cosy restaurant with a very very wide variety of sweet and savoury treats. This place is very popular so do keep that in mind before you pop by.
10. Treat yourself to some fries at Manneken Pis
After working up an apatite from a full day of exploring the city, treat yourself to some fries at Manneken Pis. They have a range of 20 different sauces to choose from and some that are only available in Amsterdam!
Hope you enjoyed this blog post and let me know in the comments if you have or are going to visit Amsterdam.
Find out more on my Amsterdam adventure here:
- Room Mate Aitana | Amsterdam | 2020Opens in a new tab
- A weekend Amsterdam | Netherlands | Jan 2020Opens in a new tab
- Disrupt! – Amsterdam Light Festival | 2020Opens in a new tab